Sunday 15 April 2007

Feeling the need to immerse myself in baby stuff, I took a trip out to Roncesvalles to go to Macklem's yesterday morning.
Even though we are getting a lot of things from our incredibly generous friends and relatives (we have been offered a bassinet, a baby bjorn, and multiple strollers in addition to the crib, bouncy chair and diaper genie that are already in our possession) and don't need a lot of the big ticket stuff, I wanted to go and see what was out there.
It was great walking around there and having an upclose look at all the different car seats, cribs, strollers, and all the other things that a new mother apparently can't do without. It was also nice talking to the sales people about the benefits of the various brands and styles. Much better than at Babies R Us where, if you can find a salesperson, they barely know the stock. The store was pretty expensive, and I don't know if I would buy anything from there, but I won't hesitate to use their knowledge.
I checked out the stroller that my friend Mel just bought and suffered some serious envy. I had to agree with my friend Stef though when she pointed out that while that particular stroller was really good for 2 kids, since we only plan on having one, it might not be the best choice for us.
But now, I am obsessed with strollers. Even though we have been offered three strollers from various people, and we will most likely not be getting a new one, every time I see a stroller on the street I stare at it fixedly, trying to see how well it maneuvers and how comfortable the kid seems.
I would probably be doing this with car seats as well, but it's a bit more difficult to check those out without looking like a total psycho.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually have the Phil & Ted's as well. I've had it for about 10 months or so. Got to say I really like it. Easy to push and very very comfortable to walk with! It actually works really well for one kid actually.

Good taste :)

Anonymous said...

My friend Silvana advises that it should have the cup holder for you and the baby. Easy access to refreshments is a must!!

As non-parent and someone who gets to babysit from time to time, what I find the most important feature is how easy the stroller calapses when needed. Nothing is worse than the streetcar being there and you can't get the stroller down.

Jean-Anne

Craftygrrrl said...

A solid cup holder is a must for any stroller! I'm quite amazed at how many of the high end models don't come with one.

It's really easy to get carried away with all the gadgets and gizmo's that are now out there for Baby, a lot of this has to do with baby being THE hot accessory.

I too find myself checking out other strollers and seeing how they work etc and would that style/design be practical for my lifestyle. It also feeds my inner industrial designer.

I'm probably going to do a run out to Mecklem's in a few weeks to get a new sling. How far is it from Dundas station?

tapeheads said...

Macklem's is about a 10 minute walk south of Dundas Station on the west side. (Altough I get there by going across College st.)
It's just at the intersection where Roncesvalles and Dundas St. W. meet.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I just got a copy of the most recent Today's Parent and it has a really good pullout on car seats including recommended models/what to look/installing and all kinds of other interesting bits.

You should take a look!