Wednesday, 20 February 2008

Man, I just don't know where the days are going. I've been meaning to post for quite a while now, but for some reason, I just can never squeeze in the time to do it. The only thing I can offer is that she has been especially clingy these last couple of weeks. I think she's going through a bout of separation anxiety. It really kicked in about 3 weeks ago. We left her with my niece for about an hour and apparently she started crying halfway through the hour. Since then she starts screaming when we are out of her sight and if she had her way, one of us would always be holding her. She is getting better though. I went for dim sum with my parents and one of my sisters on Monday and she actually let herself be held and taken around by my sister, for a little while at least.

I guess the other reason I haven't posted lately is because we've been going out quite a bit. One of the things we've been going to is the Carry Me Close meetings on Tuesdays. They've been great. I've gotten some great tips on how to use my mei tai and I've learned that the scarf I've had for the last 20 years was probably originally meant to double as a baby carrier. Who knew? I also tried on the Moby wrap today and quite liked it. I'm thinking about going out on Thursday afternoon to buy some material to make my own.

We've also had some firsts. She sat unsupported a couple of weeks ago. It was so cool. I had her sitting leaning against me at the library. She was playing with a toy that had wheels, so every once in a while she would push it and it would roll further away from her and she would lean forward to grab it again. The toy kept rolling further from her and she kept leaning for it. Then I realized that I wasn't actually supporting her anymore and she had stopped reaching for the toy and was just sitting there leaning on her hands. I backed away from her and she stayed like that for quite some time. I've been trying to get a picture of it, but she doesn't like to just sit there leaning on her hands, she always wants to reach out or sit up straighter which means she inevitably falls over before I can get the camera.
The other thing that she has started doing is saying Dada. She hasn't connected it with Joe yet, but that doesn't make him less excited.

As for the sleeping, Stephanie had a thought that we were possibly missing our window of opportunity and that if we tried putting her to sleep before she started yawning at 8:30 that might be enough to get her to stay down. Unfortunately it didn't work. She would sleep for half an hour or so and then wake up full of beans. So we're back to going in around 10pm. I figure, this way at least she's not rarin' to go at some ungodly hour like 5am. Of course it hasn't quite worked out perfectly. She's been waking herself up in the middle of the night by rolling onto her stomach. I don't know if she's awake when she rolls or if she rolls in her sleep, but the upshot of it is that she'll hang out on her stomach for a couple of minutes before she completely loses it and nothing will calm her down except being back on the breast.

We have week 22 and 23 pictures today. Man is she getting big! And also I finally got a shot of her in the mei tai.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Hey Stranger - for what it's worth we start bedtime at 8:00 pm everynight - I breastfeed her to sleep (J reads a story) she falls asleep for 30 - 45 minutes then wakes up then I breastfeed her for about 15 minutes and she crashes for 3 hours.

Give or take a half an hour or so. I try and take heart in the fact that the "Habit" of bedtime is getting formed while the sleep schedule is still in flux.

Mostly I think she's awake when I fall asleep though LOL

Miss you - will be more "outside" when I've adjusted to working motherhood.